Southwest Airlines is one of the unique airlines in the airline industry. The reason that we are calling it unique is because of the southwest flight change policy. Southwest Airlines is known for its most flexible change policy which is not available in any other big airline.
The penalty that most of the airlines charge while changing a ticket after buying it, is huge. Southwest airlines have become the leader and an example for other airlines for not charging any change fees for domestic and international flights. We have made a guide of Southwest airline’s date change policy for you to take care of in case you want to make any changes in your flight.
Features of Changing a Southwest Flight
- Southwest Airlines has not made these changes in their policy due to Covid. Although Covid policies are updated but even pre-covid as well you had the option to change a flight without paying a fee. Changing a flight with no fare difference is actually a big deal where various other airlines charge double. This makes it convenient for travelers to save some serious cash or points.
2. Funds from wanna getaway, anytime, and business select fares can be used by a customer for future travel up to one year from the date of original purchase by the ticketed passenger only. Travel booked by using these travel funds has to be completed by the expiration date. All the funds are reusable as long as these were cancelled according to the new show policy.
3. If a ticket is booked using rapid reward points, then it can be changed by using points only.
4. You can change the departure date, flight time, or destination. It would depend upon the availability on that particular date.
5. In cases of a medical emergency, due to illness or if the flight schedule is changed due to weather, there is no penalty to modify the flight. Only the fare difference would be charged.
6. Name changes on the ticket can only be done if the flight is cancelled within 24 hours of making the Southwest Reservations. In order to change the name, the passenger needs to cancel their ticket and book a new flight under the correct name.
7. If one needs to change their flight after check-in, it has to be done at least 40 minutes before the departure flight time.
9. The passenger will receive an alert if there is any schedule change in the flight. In this case, it is always suggested to call right away to explore the available flight options.
10. Southwest Travel Funds from the previous cancelled flight can be used to book a new flight. The only condition is that it can be used for the same passenger who was supposed to travel.
How to Change Southwest Flight?
To change your flight, first, you need to visit the official website of the southwest. Next, you have to
log in from the official website and enter your account number, username and password.
Once you log in you will see four tabs on top of the page. You have to click on a flight to get
the drop-down menu. From the menu select manage reservations and you will get to the
change or cancellations reservation screen. You have to click on change flight.
On the next page, you will see a box of other self-service from there you have to click on
change reservations. You also have to fill in your confirmation number along with your first and last
Once you click continue, selecting the option of change will take you to the page where
your booking details will be available. There you will see an option of updating the selected flight
where all the details of your previous flight will be available. To update your flight you have to
click on the select new flight.
The next page will provide you with the details of all upcoming flights with the updated
charges. You can select the flight that suits you best and press continue. After selecting
continue your flight change will be confirmed.
There is no cost to change a flight on Southwest Airlines. Whereas many other airlines charge a whooping amount, southwest seems to understand the emergencies of the customers and does not charge anything.
You might be asked to pay a difference in fare if the newly booked flight you have selected costs more than your original flight. And the new selected flight costs less you get a difference refund in the original form of payment. In another case, the difference can be held for future use in the form of reusable travel find for the originally ticketed passenger if the travel is completed within the expiration date.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Can You Request For The Refund?
You can ask for your money back by simply calling on the Southwest Airlines customer service
department and also request it online through the website.
Can A Flight Be Changed To Different Location on Southwest?
Yes, you have all the rights to change your flight to any other location. Although you are entitled to pay if there
is any difference in the fare. You can also get credit as travel funds if the new booked ticket costs less.
For How Long Travel Funds Are Valid?
Make sure to take care of the southwest change flight deadline for using the travel funds which must be used within
the expiration date.