Wanted to know about United airlines unaccompanied minors? You need not worry for young flyers when choosing a United Airlines for their flight. United Airlines is one of the best and safest options for unaccompanied minors. They have the best policy laid down for safe travel for unaccompanied minors. All these policies are laid down by keeping in mind the covid-19 situation.
Unaccompanied Minor Policy 2022
- As per United Airlines, a child between the age of 5-14 years is considered to be an unaccompanied minor.
- In case of interconnecting flights, unaccompanied minors are not allowed
- The unaccompanied minor fee includes a seat, food, and pre-boarding service.
- Young adults between 15-17 years can travel alone on united airlines or united express and can take service of unaccompanied airlines.
- Children younger than 5 years can’t travel alone, not even with older unaccompanied minors.
- To book a ticket for unaccompanied minors, put 0 adults and the age of the child.
United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Service Detail:
Prepare your children for the trip by preparing a checklist:
- Write down a number for your child in case we need to contact you or another adult.
- Talk to your child about what they’re gonna experience at the airport.
- Pack some books or games that keep your child entertained throughout the flight
- Make sure you tell your child that a united Airlines representative will be there in case of any help.
- Unaccompanied minors cannot check-in via mobile/online.
- A parent or legal guardian should accompany the minor to the check-in counter.
- Meet the representative at the check-in counter, as online check-in is not allowed
- United airline representative will verify the contact information of the person who will drop the child at the airport and also who will be there to pick up the child.
- Children will be given a wristband and special tags so that a united representative will identify as a child traveling alone.
- Children will be given a special envelope, where they can keep their documents handy like boarding passes, minor forms, passports, etc.
- You will get a special customer representative number in case you want to contact them after your child’s trip started
- The cabin crew will make sure that your child is comfortable and they look after it.
- If your child is on medication, let the representative know about it beforehand.
At the Arrival Airport
- Arrive at the airport 45 mins before the scheduled time.
- For domestic or selected international flights that immigration and customs clearance:
- Get a gate pass from the ticket counter.
- Show ID at the airport.
- Processed through security to meet your child.
- Access the arrival gate and flight information from a mobile app.
- For international flights that require immigration and custom clearance
- Arrive at the scheduled arrival time.
- Wait outside the customs area.
- Show ID at the airport
- Meet your child after he/she passes through customs.
How to Book Unaccompanied Minor Service With United Airlines
You can book in two ways:
- Via phone
- Via online on their official website
In the case of online:
- Visit www.united.com
- Click on the advance search option
- Change the number of adults from 1 to 0
- Select the number of children by their age range.
- Follow on-screen prompts and pay the reservation amount.
Unaccompanied Minor Fee Charges
Cost of unaccompanied minor if traveling through united airline:
|Number of unaccompanied minors||One-way service fee||Roundtrip service fee|
|1||USD 150||USD 300|
|5||USD 450||USD 900|
|6||USD 450||USD 900|
NOTE: Two minor children can travel at a fee for one minor child. The cost of a roundtrip will double.
Frequently Asked Question
Which seat will be provided to unaccompanied minors by United Airlines?
United Airlines will make an appropriate selection of seats for your child, to make your child get the best attention. You will get to know the assigned seat within 48 hrs. before departure and check the status online.
Which things to keep in mind before booking a ticket for unaccompanied minors?
- While booking a ticket, mention the detail and contact information of the person who is drooping and picking up your child.
- If booking online, service charges will be added to the price of the ticket. and in case of booking is done by phone, service charges will be paid while you pay for the ticket or at the time of check-in.
- The child below the age of 15 years has to check in to the united Airlines representative, the child cannot check-in through a mobile app or online.
What are the ticketing fees charged on different modes by United Airlines?
In the united states and Canada:
- By phone: USD 25
- City ticket office: USD 30
- In-person at the airport: USD 50
Outside the united states and Canada
- May vary depending on MileagePlus.
The ticketing fee is non-refundable.
What documents are required at check-in the adult with united airlines unaccompanied minors policy?
- Photo ID (license, passport, etc)
- Contact number and address
- Contact details and address details of the person who will be arriving at the airport to pick up the child
How early is it required to be at the airport as per united airlines unaccompanied minor policy?
It is suggested to approx. 30 min to arrive at the airport early. You should always come before the time to fulfill through security and get the escort pass. And flights can arrive early as well.
Can unaccompanied minors travel on international flights by taking united airlines?
Yes, under united airlines unaccompanied minor, you can travel international flights but you are required to have some additional documents. Like parent’s name, child name, destination, travel date, notarized signature of the absent parent, and summary for the reason to travel alone.