Air France Baggage Policy
Are you in the dilemma of how many bags you can bring on board? Are you looking for information on baggage size, weight, and excess baggage? Before packing your bags let's go through the complete information about Air France baggage policy. If you carry oversized and excess-weight luggage on your Air France flight, you will have to pay exorbitant baggage fees for carrying extra weight as a penalty. Curious to learn more specifications about Air France baggage policy? Go through the more detailed guidelines for baggage allowance.
What is Air France baggage allowance?
The limits of carrying the luggage depend upon the Airfrance baggage guidelines for carrying hand baggage and checked baggage. You can carry 2 wheelchairs for free in the hold. Wheelchairs must be packed properly in protective covering. Passengers have to pay special charges for musical instruments, hunting rifles used for sports, and ammunition. You can add additional baggage at the time of online check-in. There are certain items that are not considered personal items or hand baggage but still, you can bring them on board for free such as:
- Overcoat, jacket, or any other clothing item.
- Things you have bought from the airport.
- Children's items (Strollers, diaper bags, car seats, etc).
If there is not enough space for any of these items Air France assistance keeps them inside the hold without additional charges. Air France cabin baggage allowance depends upon your travel cabin which is mentioned on your ticket booking. Weight restrictions vary on each bag type on the basis of the booking class that you are traveling on.
- In Economy Class, 1 hand baggage and 1 personal item are permitted.
- In Premium Economy, La Première Cabin, or Business class, 2 hand baggage and 1 personal item are allowed.
- Air France offers the benefit of carrying 1 additional small bag if they are traveling with an infant or baby on their lap.
- You can also bring your fragile items to the cabin.
- The weight of additional bag must remain below 12Kg/ 26.4 lb with 55cm X 25cm X 35cm in dimensions.
- Air France advises you to book your seat behind the bassinet for your comfort if you are traveling with an infant.
- You will have to pay a fee of $29 for booking this seat on per person basis.
- Air France baggage policy is different for students as they can bring 2 checked baggage of weights 23kg/ 50.7 lb for free.
- Select "Student Major (18-29Years)" while booking your ticket.
- Students get an additional benefit of flexible bookings under the student rate.
- Passengers aged 18 to 29 years are considered students studying in an educational institution. For availing of this benefit, you will have to provide the documents such as a passport, ID card, and admission letter to the university.
Carry-on baggage allowance is different for all cabin types and destinations you are traveling for. Passengers can bring 1 or 2 baggage items and 1 personal item such as a small bag, laptop, or briefcase. The hand baggage weight of your carry-on items must not exceed 12 kg/26.4 lb in Economy Class and 18 Kg/40 lb in Business class. Hand baggage is mostly accepted for free on Air France flights.
|Air France Cabin Type||No. of Bags||Air France Baggage Allowance||Baggage Dimensions|
|Economy||1||12 Kg||55 cm x 35 cm x 25 cm|
|Premium Economy||2||18 Kg||55 cm x 35 cm x 25 cm|
|Business||2||18 Kg||55 cm x 35 cm x 25 cm|
|La Première||2||18 Kg||55 cm x 35 cm x 25 cm|
Hand Baggage Dimensions
- Your hand baggage dimensions and size including the pockets handle, and wheels are 55 X 35 X 25cm or 21.6 X 13.7 X 9.8 inc.
- If your hand baggage dimensions do not meet the Air France baggage specifications your handbag will be placed in the hold by paying additional baggage fees.
Personal Items Dimensions
- In addition to the hand baggage passengers are allowed to bring 1 personal item of dimensions 40 X 30 X 15cm or 15.7 X 11.8 X 5.8 in.
- You can store your personal item under the seat in front of you.
- Moreover, if you are traveling on seats in the exit row you can place this item in the overhead space.
- You can carry smaller instruments of 115cm or 45 inches in total dimensions are allowed as carry-on baggage items in the cabin.
- For larger musical equipment, you will have to inform Air France assistance service before 48 hours of your scheduled flight.
- You can carry these large-sized instruments on the seat with 46Kg or 101 lbs maximum weight per seat.
Carry On Prohibited items
- Stoves containing gas.
- Homemade alcoholic beverages.
Air France baggage policy applies to all Air France flights. You can carry the number of bags depending upon the type of fare and booking class. The weight allowance for your Air France checked baggage varies depending upon the fare type between 23 kg/50 lb to 32kg/70 lb. Flying Blue or Elite members can carry additional checked baggage for free without paying an extra charge. If you add extra checked baggage online you will get a 20% discount as compared to booking at the airport. Your checked baggage size must be within 158cm in total dimensions. Tickets booked with light and basic fares cannot bring checked bags for free on Air France flights.
|Cabin Type||Number Of Bags||Weight Allowance|
|Premium Economy||2||23Kg/50 lb|
|La Première||3||32Kg/70 lb|
- Children traveling on their seats avail the facility of checked baggage similar to the baggage allowance for adults.
- Persons traveling with infants are permitted to carry a handbag luggage item of weight less than 12Kgs.
- The dimensions of the additional handbag must be 55 X 35 X 25cm.
- A car chair or stroller is also permitted on Air France flights with no additional charges.
- You can carry sports equipment as checked baggage on Air France flights following the weight allowance policy.
- If the bag size is larger, you will have to pay an excess baggage fee.
- Moreover, you will have to inform the Air France assistance service and take approval on the items by calling on Air France customer care phone number.
- You must contact customer care 48 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the flight.
Mentioned below are the items you can carry freely and the ones you will need to take permission.
|Air France Permitted Sports Items||Air France Not Permitted Sports Items|
|Golf Equipment||Diving Equipments (Underwater Diving Flashlights, Empty Scuba tanks)|
|Diving Equipment (wet suits, masks, diving shoes, fins, knives, vests, & pressure regulators)||Cycling Equipments & Electric bikes without battery(batteries over 160Wh are not permitted)|
|Fishing Equipment||Avalanche Bags|
|Ski, Water Ski, Snowboard Equipments (within 300 cm or 118 inches)||Weapons|
Note: Firearms, other weapons, Surf, bodyboard, windsurf boards, kite-surf, and longboards need approval before carrying on the flight. Sometimes, Air France considers these items as standard baggage as per their baggage allowance, and sometimes the paperwork is required.
- You can take musical items as carry-on items or checked baggage depending on the size of your musical instrument to fly on Air France.
- You will have to pay Air France baggage fee for transporting musical instruments depending upon their type, size, and your ticket type.
Below are the instruments you can carry freely and the items for which you need prior approval.
|Air France Permitted Musical Instruments||Air France Not Permitted Musical Instruments|
Air France Assistance Service
You can reach out to customer care assistance service for Air France baggage queries, flight cancellation, or modifications on their official website’s contact us page. You will get connected to a live person and you can request them for all the services related to Air France. Air France customer care executives are available 24X7.
If you need to carry extra baggage more than the baggage allowance or a larger bag in size. Then, you will have to go through the Air France additional baggage policy. This policy varies depending upon the route of travel.
- Bag size exceeding 158cm in dimensions and 32kg/70.5 lbs more weight falls under the additional baggage category.
- Within Europe, €70 is the Air France baggage fee for adding an additional bags for traveling on Economy or Premium Economy.
- From Europe to US/Canada, €85 is the baggage fee.
Excess Baggage Fees
When the size or dimensions of your baggage exceeds the standard dimensions and baggage size. You need to pay the baggage fee to take your luggage on board with Air France. You can add your pet under the additional or excess baggage section and pay Air France pet fees for their travel. The fee structure depends upon the route of travel and baggage weight. You need to pay €25 and €300 based on the baggage allowance of your Air France ticket.
|Additional Baggage||Short-haul flight fees||Medium-haul flight fees|
(Below 23Kg & above 32Kg)
|Approved Baggage (Below 32Kg)||100||200|
|Excess Baggage (within 158cm)||20||75|
|Pets (max 75Kg)||20||75|
How can I add additional baggage to my Air France booking?
Passengers can take the benefit of adding additional baggage online mode or offline. If you want to get more information regarding your baggage details and add more bags to your itinerary. You can request the customer care executive of Air France. Also, you can add the additional bag to your itinerary online by following this step-by-step guide.
- Visit the official website of Air France.
- Go to the “My Bookings” section.
- Fill in the booking reference number and the passenger's last name.
- Press the "Search" button.
- Select your flight and edit the details of your booking.
Frequently Asked Question's
Yes you can even bring 2 checked baggage following the Air France baggage allowance policy on Business, Premium Economy, and La Premiere class. In Economy Cabin you are permitted to bring 1 checked baggage only without additional charges.
You can add checked baggage to your booking itinerary by visiting the "My Bookings" section on the official website of Air France by paying Air France baggage fees between €25 and €300.
You can carry 1 or 2 handbags, 1 personal item, and 1 checked baggage in Economy booking class below 18kg weight in the cabin. 2 carry-on bags and 2 checked baggage in Premium Economy, Business, and La Première Class on Air France.
Yes, you become eligible to receive compensation from Air France for your delayed baggage if your luggage gets delayed by more than 3 hours. You will get the reimbursement after Air France checks the flight's landing timings at the destination.
You must report to the Air France service counter immediately about your lost baggage. Provide the baggage's claim tag information and identification to the assistant they will track your baggage from the details of your itinerary and help you out.
Compensation takes approximately 10 weeks to process in your account. You will get all kinds of compensation within this time period from Air France.
Air France permits passengers to carry 1 carry on bag of dimensions 55cm x 35cm x 25cm and 1 personal item of dimensions 40cm x 30cm x 15cm. You can bring Carry on baggage in the cabin.
Carry-on baggage weight should be between 12-18Kg and dimensions must be 55 X 35 X 25cm for personal items, the dimensions must be 40 X 30 X 15cm.
Yes, you can bring your laptop bag as 1 handbag can be added to your luggage while traveling in the cabin.
Yes, baggage tracking on Air France is very simple. You can visit the official website of Air France, fill in the required details and go to the baggage section along with the baggage details, and track your luggage in case your baggage goes missing on an Air France flight.
Yes, your lost baggage will be delivered to you within 72 hours whenever you are convenient. If Air France is unable to find out your luggage even after 72 hours you can claim compensation.