What if the Airline refuses your check-in due to overweight baggage? Do you think what will you do at that point standing in the check-in queue? Passengers can check their United Airlines baggage fee depending upon their fare type through the baggage fee calculator from United Airlines original website. Before booking your flight ticket you must check United Airlines baggage policy for avoiding delays in boarding your flight because of excess bag weight or oversized baggage. Baggage guidelines are different for both domestic and international flight travel. Be sagacious to check the United Airlines baggage policy before you fly for clearing all your doubts regarding prohibited items, baggage size, carry-on, checked baggage fee, baggage dimensions, and size limit.
- United Baggage Policy Guidelines
- United Airlines baggage size and weight
- Domestic Baggage Policy
- International Baggage Policy
- Carry-on Baggage Policy
- Checked Baggage Policy
- Military Baggage Policy
- Extra Baggage Policy
- United Baggage Fees
- How to claim your baggage issues with United Airlines?
- Baggage Tracking
- What is the United Airlines baggage check-in time?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
United Baggage Policy Guidelines
United Airlines focuses the most on its rules and guidelines for a safe and comfortable carry-away for your baggage with ease. United Airlines have baggage policies for three types of luggage such as carry on, checked, and excess baggage. This airline has certain restrictions on carrying some of the items. Baggage policies vary depending upon your route type plus departure and destination airport.
- The passenger needs to check in their baggage before the check-in deadline.
- You can carry excess baggage within the weight allowance limits.
- If you wish to travel with a pet you need to take permission from United Airlines.
- 1 carry-on bag and 1 personal item are allowed on a flight for free.
- Your baggage must not exceed the size limit.
- Basic Economy tickets on United Airlines do not allow carry on baggage.
- United Airlines baggage allowance is different for different booking classes and varies between 23 kgs-32 Kgs.
- If you cancel your United flight, you will have to add the baggage again to your itinerary on a new booking.
- You need to pay a baggage fee for traveling on United Airlines for carrying any additional bag.
Note: You can reach out to the airlines directly for any queries related to the United Airlines baggage policy or prohibited items to carry in your bag.
United Airlines Baggage Size and Weight
United Airlines size and weight allowance of baggage vary depending upon the travel route, booking class, and your destination. Your luggage must follow the below-mentioned size and dimensions for carrying your luggage on United Airlines. The length, width, and height of your baggage must remain within the following dimensions.
|Carry on Bag||Checked Bag|
|Carry on||Personal Item|
|Baggage Dimensions||9 X 14 X 22 in or 22 X 35 X 56 cm||9 X 10 X 17 in or 22 X 25 X 43 cm||9 X 14 X 22 in or 23 X 14 X 35 cm|
|Weight Allowance||23 Kg or 50 Pounds||-----||50-70 Pounds or 23-32 Kg|
Domestic Baggage Policy
- A certain number of checked bags are permitted on United Airlines domestic flights for free.
- United Airlines checked baggage fees for each bag on domestic flights are
- First Bag- $35
- Second Bag-$45
- Third Bag -$150
- United checked baggage weight Allowance varies for various booking classes such as
- Economy Class- 23 Kgs or 50 lbs
- First Class- 32 Kgs or 70 lbs
- Business Class- 32 Kgs or 70 lbs
- PolarisSM First Class- 32 Kgs or 70 lbs
- Polaris Business Class- 32 Kgs or 70 lbs
International Baggage Policy
- Passengers can bring 2 to 3 checked bags on international United Airlines flights.
- United Airlines checked baggage fees for each bag on international flights is
- First Bag- for free
- Second Bag- $100
- Third Bag- $200
- Weight baggage Allowance for checked bags on United Airline flights is 50 pounds.
- The weight limit on United Airlines international flights is 45 kg or 100 Pounds, and must not exceed 115 inches in dimensions.
- Passengers traveling on premium flight tickets can bring 2 checked bags for free.
- You can calculate your baggage fees using the United.com baggage calculator on the official website
- For carrying musical instruments and sports equipment you will have to take permission from the airlines.
Carry-on Baggage Policy
- Passengers can bring 2 bags as carry on baggage on United Airlines.
- United Airlines Carry-on baggage weight limit as per the policy is
- Passengers traveling on basic economy flight tickets are allowed to bring only 1 personal item as carry-on baggage.
- United Airlines carry on baggage fees
- You can bring carry on baggage with no baggage fee within the specified size limit.
- Passengers with basic economy tickets have to pay a baggage fee of $25 for carrying a full-sized bag.
- On other ticket types, you can bring 1 cabin bag and 1 personal item with specific dimensions.
|United Airlines Carry-on Baggage Dimensions in Cabin|
|Carry on||9 X 14 X 22 in or 22 X 35 X 56 cm|
|Personal item||9 X 10 X 17 in or 22 X 25 X 43 cm|
- Carry-on items for infants on United Airlines are breast pumps, child seat, and diaper bag for free.
- Permitted Musical instruments as carry-on baggage on United Airlines are flutes, violins, and drums that can be stored below the seat or in overhead space.
- You can bring your domesticated pet on board in the cabin following the United Airlines pet policy
- Prohibited items on carry-on baggage
- Firearms, batteries, lighters, e-cigarettes, powder-based substances, matchsticks, chemicals and gels, dry ice, liquid nitrogen, dry snipers, gasoline tools consisting of powder, defense sprays, camping equipment without fuel.
Checked Baggage Policy
- United Airlines deny passengers check in if their baggage weight exceeds the United Airlines baggage rules and regulations.
- 2 checked bags are permitted on United Airlines for free depending on your ticket conditions.
- Checked baggage size on United Airlines should not exceed 157 cm or 62 inches.
- United Airlines checked baggage weight allowance Weight limit varies depending on your booking class.
|United Airlines Checked Baggage Weight Allowance|
|Economy Class||50 lbs or 23 Kg|
|Business Class||70 lbs or 32 Kg|
- United Airlines checked baggage fees are $35 and $45 for first and second bags respectively for general members.
- Passengers with premier bookings can carry 2 checked bags without paying a baggage fee.
- Pets larger in size can travel in the hold or as checked baggage on United Airlines.
- United Airlines checked baggage for children allows a pushchair.
- You can bring musical instruments and sports equipment as checked baggage on United Airlines.
Extra Baggage Policy
United Airlines allows extra weight/overweight baggage and oversized baggage as excess baggage by paying United Airlines baggage fees. For overweight bags, you will have to pay $100 for each extra carry on bag and $200 for each extra checked bag. $200 for extra oversized baggage on United Airlines. You are not permitted to bring a bag of more than 100 lbs. Assistive devices are allowed for free transportation with United Airlines.
Military Baggage Policy
United Airlines offers the benefit of their baggage policy to US military members. They can bring up to 5 checked bags on United flights for free weighing 70 lbs or less along with the size dimensions of 115 inches. While traveling for personal purposes their checked baggage limit is 3 bags with size dimensions within 62 inches weighing 70 lbs. Military members traveling for personal reasons can bring their luggage as per the standard baggage rules.
United Airlines Baggage Fees
You can bring 1 carry on bag and 1 personal item for free on United Airlines except on basic economy. Additionally, for bringing checked baggage you are required to pay United Airlines baggage fees for each bag. The baggage fee for traveling on United Airlines depends upon the ticket fare, booking class, and the number of checked bags plus the loyalty program and destination of your journey. The charges for baggage transportation on United Airlines are different for domestic and international flights.
|Baggage Category||Domestic Flight Baggage Fee||International Flight Baggage Fee|
|Basic Economy (1st Bag)||–||$60|
|Basic Economy (2nd Bag)||–||$100|
Note: You can add additional baggage by paying $150 fees on United Airlines domestic flights. You can easily calculate your baggage fees on the official website using "Baggage Calculator".
How to claim your baggage issues with United Airlines?
You can claim for your United Airlines lost, damaged, or delayed baggage online as well as offline mode. You can claim for your baggage issues on the official website or through the app, and also by contacting United Airlines customer care. You can make a request by providing all the required bag details along with your flight booking reference number and passenger details.
By Online Mode
- Go to www.united.com
- Retrieve and click on "Baggage Information".
- Press on the "Issues with checked bags" option near the "United check-in baggage" option.
- Fill in all the required details of your baggage and flight details.
- Look for the "Submit a claim" button and press it.
Through Offline Mode
- Call on United Airlines customer care number
- from U.S. or Canada: 1-800-335-2247.
- from Mexico: 001-866-563-3244.
- from Asia-Pacific or Europe: Country code +800-33-55-2247.
- Inform the executive about your United Airlines baggage issue.
- Provide all the required details to claim your baggage.
Note: In the case United Airlines is unable to find your lost luggage even after 5 days you will get a compensation of $1500 without asking for any documents. You can demand approximately $3500 compensation for your lost baggage and damage baggage claim depending upon the condition of your luggage.
You can easily track your delayed baggage using the baggage tracking feature on the United Airlines website. You will get notified instantly of your delayed baggage. You can track your baggage by following these simple steps.
- Visit the United Airlines official website.
- Go to the drop-down list and select "Baggage info".
- Retrieve and click on "Issues with your bags".
- Select "Track your bags".
- Fill in all the required details and press the "Continue" button for tracing your bag.
Note: In case you are unable to fetch the tracking information of your bag you may reach out to the United Airlines customer service phone number to claim your baggage issues.
What is the United Airlines baggage check-in time?
- With Carry-on baggage-
- Check in before 30 minutes of the scheduled departure of your domestic flight.
- Check-in prior to 60 minutes of the fixed departure time of your flight.
- With checked baggage-
- Check in with your checked baggage 45 minutes before the flight's time for domestic flights.
- 60 minutes prior to the flight's departure for international flights.
|Type of Flight||Check in time with Carry-on Baggage||Check in time with Checked Baggage|
|Domestic||30 minutes||1 hour|
|International||1 hour||1.5 hour|
Frequently Asked Question's
Yes, United Airlines compensate for delayed baggage by paying the amount passenger claims. You can claim up to $3500 for your delayed luggage for more than 5 days.
You can bring 1 carry on and 1 personal item on board while traveling with United Airlines for free. You have to pay a baggage fee if your bags or size exceeds the dimensions and doesn’t match the guidelines of United Airlines baggage policy.
Passengers are allowed to carry 1 carry on bag and 1 personal item for free that should not exceed 22 x 14 x 9 inches including handles and wheels and size should not exceed 23-32 Kgs.
United Airlines allows passengers to bring 1 personal item only and if you wish to bring a carry-on bag, you become entitled to pay $25 as a baggage fee.
23-32 Kgs is the weight limit for baggage on United Airlines depending upon different booking classes and routes of travel.
United Airlines charges baggage fees on the checked bag and economy fare type on domestic flights between $35 and $45 for the first and second bag respectively.
Yes you can add checked baggage to your United flight on domestic and international routes by paying a baggage fee of $35 for the first bag, $45 for the second bag, and $150 for an additional third bag.
1 Carry on and 1 personal item are free on all fare types except basic economy. 2 checked baggage is free on international flights only. You need to pay $35 to $150 for adding each bag to your United Airlines itinerary.