We can totally understand your relationship with your pet, and your travel requirements with your pet like dogs, cats, and some birds. United Airlines understands your needs and allows a safe journey for your pet. Like every other airline, United Airlines also has a pet policy to lay down for pets.
According to United airlines Pet policy, you can reserve a seat for your pet in-plane/in-cabin or in cargo depending on the pet’s size. Find all the information for flying with the pet, its fees, pet policy, and requirements with the airlines as of 2022. Now add pets with you on flights without any worry.
Pets in cabin
Domesticated pets like dogs and cats can accompany passengers and can fit in the kennel under your seats in front of you. Read the united airline dog policy, and cat policy below.
Pets in cargo
According to Ua pet policy in cargo pets who are traveling alone, or are big in size then have a separate facility to travel in cargo under united airlines. Also called shipping.
United Pet Policy
United airlines came up with United Pet Policy with some added rules to make the safety of pet animals their first priority. United Airlines’ pet policy for international and domestic flights is quite the same but might have some restrictions and is considered best by regular flyers.
You do need to follow a few rules and regulations to make the best travel for your pet animal
1. Dogs will be only allowed to come to the U.S. if they have
a. A valid rabies vaccination certificate.
b. Is more than 6 years old
c. Is healthy
d. Is in the right carrier
e. Have proof of a microchip
2. Service animals will only be allowed on United airline flights if qualified individuals with disabilities are accompanying them.
3. Pets can not travel with unaccompanied minors
4. United Airlines no longer accepts emotional support dogs on flights.
5. On flights inside the United States, United airline welcomes small domestic animals such as puppy, dogs, cats, small house birds (apart from cockatiels), and rabbits (except in Hawaii)
Pets in cabin
- Pets kennel should fit underneath and sit right in front of you.
- On domestic flights, the puppies or kittens must be 2 months old. And in the case of international flights, they should be for 4 months due to the rabies vaccination requirement as per the age policy.
- If you are carrying a pet, you have to book your ticket and an additional ticket for the pet and pay additional charges to the airline.
- You have to follow the weight limit guideline for the pet strictly.
- Your pet needs to stay in the kennel, in the cabin, onboard, and at the airport.
- Pets won’t be provided with oxygen.
- The Pet tag attached is necessary
- Required additional information prior to reservation, speak directly to the agent in charge.
- If you are traveling to the US from another country, you have to see the health declaration and vaccination requirements.
Note: United and United Express flights have this pet policy. If you are traveling and changing multiple flights, you have to check for each airline separately. Also, minors cannot travel with pets.
Pets in cargo
United Airlines has partnered with American Humane to improve their pet transport service, PETSAFE. If your pet does not qualify to travel in-cabin, then they have the option of united pet cargo. The pet-safe program offers traveling to more than 3000 destinations.
- Pets from 2kg to 350kg can be transported
- Only prepaid booking.
- Additional animal handling and kenneling fees may apply.
Carriers and Dimensions
FOR PETS IN-CABIN
- Pets must be carried in a hard-sided or soft-sided kennel.
- The kennel must fit under the seat, as it will remain there all the time.
- Dimensions for hard-sided kennel:
17inches long, 12inches wide, 7.5inches high (44X30X19cm)
- Dimension for soft-sided kennel:
18inches long 11 inches wide 11inches high (46X28X28cm)
(soft side kennel can exceed its dimension as it is collapsible and able to fit under the seat)
- Only one pet is allowed in the kennel, so that pet can stand and move around comfortably.
FOR PETS IN-CARGO
- The carrier must be large enough for the pet to move freely and stand straight.
- The carrier must be constructed of rigid plastic, and metal and secure with proper bolts
- Food and any water dishes must be attached to the pet kennel.
- Petsafe does not accept carriers taller than 30” and including the 700 series of crates.
- If you cancel your flight your pet will be no allowed to travel in-cabin.
Note: United airlines no longer sell or provide crates at airports
As per United Airlines pet policy:
- children traveling alone should not carry pets with them
- United airline no longer accept emotional support animal ESA
- the specified dog breed is not accepted
- Pets must be on the same flight as the traveler.
- Please confirm the heat and temperature where the pet will be kept during shipping.
- Also, keep up to date with covid guidelines.
Breeds that are not allowed on United Airlines are:
For pet safe travel the United airline has banned any short-nosed or snub-nosed dogs such as Pugs and French Bulldogs, and strong-jawed dog breeds such as the American Pit Bull Terrier and Mastiffs. Moreover, Cat Breeds such as Burmese, Exotic Shorthair, Himalayan, and Persian were not allowed to fly with the Airlines.
United Airlines Dog Policy
Following the temporary ban on importing dogs into the United States. For dog-safe travel, United Airlines currently offers services to the following locations: Belize, Brazil, Colombia, China, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Ghana, Guatemala, Honduras, India, Peru, Philippines, and South Africa.
Now according to United dog policy, United Airlines only allows small animals to travel with them; doing so in the main cabin will cost you $125. Throughout the whole trip, your dogs should always be seated behind your front seat. Additionally, followed by United airlines ESA policy there is a restriction on the number of animals allowed on a single flight and only one dog or cat should fit in a single carrier. As a result, you should book a trip for your pet dog or puppy in addition to your own.
United Service Dog Policy
As long as service dogs carry out responsibilities for a person with a recognized handicap, the dogs are permitted in United Airlines’ cabins, according to the airline’s pet travel policy. Moreover, Service dogs in training are also allowed by the United air line.
United Airlines Puppy Policy
United air pet policy states that puppy do are allowed to travel in cabin along with you. The age of the puppy for international travel should be at least 4 months and the dog should be vaccinated while for domestic flights the age should be at least 2 months old.
United Emotional Support Animals
According to the United Airlines emotional support animal policy also known as the United ESA policy, the airlines have put a ban on and stopped the traveling of emotional support animals on flights.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I fly with a service dog with United Airlines?
Yes, service dogs can fly with a person with the disability. If the person is not present and the service animal is traveling with someone else then, they will be considered as a pet.
Does United allow ESA pets?
No United Airlines is not allowing ESAs to travel on flights. Only small Dogs and Cats are allowed to travel with the Airlines.
What is the cost to fly a pet with Unted Airlines?
There’s a service charge of $125 each way, an additional $125 if there’s a stopover of more than four hours within the U.S and 24hrs outside the U.S.
Does United Airlines fly pets internationally?
Pets are not allowed to travel on flights to or from Australia, Hawaii, New Zealand, and other locations. Confirm beforehand, if your destination allows in-cabin travel of pets. Rules for in-cabin for international travel vary. For further assistance contact the United customer care center.
What do I need to fly with my dog with United Airlines?
As per the rule of, “the center for disease and control and prevention” ask for the paperwork. Dogs should be vaccinated for rabies 30 days prior the traveling. until they are coming from a rabies-free country. Most US states do not require vaccination for cats (for rabies).
What are famous destinations for pets to travel to under United Airlines?
Austin, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York City, Moab, salt lake city, Madison, Tucson, Tampa, Orlando, and Chicago.
Is United Airlines Pet Friendly?
One of the most reasonably priced services for your pet animals, according to a survey, is offered by United Airlines. Moreover, for a small puppy, cat, or dog it is considered to be the best flying partner for both International and domestic flight.
Does United Airline allow peacock as emotional support animals?
Currently, Unite Air line is not allowing any other pets than puppies, small dogs, and cats to travel with them hence, any other animal such as a rabbit, guinea pig, or peacock are not allowed on a United plane.