Many passengers take their randomly assigned seats and are not able to make the decision by themselves for choosing the seat in the plane. United Airlines seat selection policy is one of the best policies for passengers.
Before boarding, you should always select your favorite spot to ensure comfort and more space when you fly. With the United Airlines manage booking’ facility you can easily book your preferred seat.
Here is a detailed guide about United airlines seat selection that will help you regarding the reservation of the best-preferred seat with United Airlines.
How to reserve a seat on a United Airlines flight?
- Visit the official portal of United Airlines
- Login and enter all credentials, click ‘search’ when you fill in all your details.
- Once the next page loads, select the preferred departure flight.
- Confirm your flight selection on the next screen and click on the ‘continue to travelers information’ tab
- Now you are required to attach the passport and select the seat whether the passenger prefers an aisle or window seat.
- Click on the ‘continue to select seat’ tab
- Wait till the seat maps load, now you will see the plane layout with different colors of seats, each color donates a different meaning.
GRAY: These seats are already booked.
ORANGE & BLUE: These seats have some extra charges for reservation.
WHITE: These seats have no additional cost.
If you take the cursor over any preferred seat, you will see the box come up to show you the associated additional cost and seat number for that seat now, choose the final seat you wish to fly on. After the selection of seats click on the ‘continue’ tab.
- Cross-check all the flight details and then make the payment.
How much does it charge to select a seat on United Airlines?
- There will be no fee for seat selection if seats are available.
- If you want to buy the preferred seat on the United aircraft you have to pay $9 for one way.
- For unaccompanied minors, each way is charged $150.
- For pets, in the cabin (cats/dogs) each way fees are $125.
- $16-$169 fees are charged for economy plus upgrade.
Upgrading flight seats in United Airlines
Apart from choosing the flight seat, you can even upgrade your flight seat from lower class to fly with all luxury and comfort.
To upgrade the flight seat there are two ways:
Upgrade with miles online:
If you have enough miles in your mileage plus account, you can redeem those miles and use them to upgrade your flight seat.
- For upgrading the miles first you need to log in to the mileage account
- Enter all the details such as name, destination from/To, departure date, and return date
- Now you select your flight fare preference and pay through miles.
Upgrade at the United airport:
Sometimes passengers plan to upgrade their flight seat right before the flight departure. In that case, you can visit the airline counter at the airport and try to find if any seat is vacant for upgradation.
Which United seat is right for you while traveling?
|United Seating options
|Premium economy, Economy plus
|United Polaris United first
|Standard legroom and space
|Extra legroom and space
|Even more legroom and space
|Fully reclining seats(seats convert to a flat 6foot) 6-inch bed with direct aisle access
|Location on the plane
|Back of the plane (Basic Economy/Economy), middle of the plane (preferred seating)
|Front of the economy cabin
|Front of the plane
|Seat map color
|White (Basic Economy/Economy), white with a black triangle (Preferred seating)
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I want to switch my United flight even though I purchased preferred seating?
If you decide to change the flight your preferred seating purchase will be automatically refunded.
Where can I purchase a preferred United seat?
You can buy pre-pre-selected seats via an online website, by mobile application, by calling the customer care center, or at the airport.
Can I take my United seat or change my seat allocation for all classes?
You will pick or change the seat for all fare classes except the basic economy.
Can we sit together on the same reservation with United, if I am traveling with someone?
No, you aren’t seated together, you can change your seats on the ‘manage reservation’ page. If a customer is holding a ticket for the basic economy and is flying in a group, they won’t be able to sit together unless advance seats are purchased or seats are available.