Southwest Airlines has one of the most flexible change and cancellation policies compared to the other airlines. The policies are straightforward. The last-minute travel changes can be very frustrating, and they can even cost the same as the price of the ticket. But if we talk about Southwest Airlines Cancellation Policy, It does not charge any change or cancellation fee. This airline offers a complete refund within 24 hours of reservations. In the case of a non-refundable ticket, if the 24 hours period passes, it’s the price. It is applied to future travel with the airlines within one year.
Southwest offers a free ticket change policy as well as a free same-day ticket change policy. Its ticket change policy does not restrict the customers to travel to the same destination previously booked. Even if you choose to travel to a completely different location, it will still be free, which is a sporadic policy. When you missed a Southwest flight, you can avail the benefit of ticket cancellation as per the policy. Moreover, if you book your flight with points and you want to cancel it, you will have to inform the airlines at least 10 minutes before the flight departure to process the refund. This depends upon Southwest cancellation policy of points.
The entire points will be credited to your account if you notify the airlines on time. Southwest Airlines has the best and most customer-friendly flight change and cancellation policies. Meanwhile, If you do not inform them, your flight will be automatically canceled, and you won’t get any refund according to the Southwest Airlines no show policy. You will get a refund depending upon the Southwest cancellation refund policy. Meanwhile, you can check online or consult the customer care representative to cancel the Southwest flight and check for a refund.
Wanna Get Away
Wanna Get Away Tickets are the lowest price fares that Southwest Airlines offer. The flight cancellation rules for these kinds of tickets are slightly tighter as compared to Business Select and Anytime. If a Wanna Get Away ticket is canceled which was earlier purchased in cash the entire amount will be saved as reusable travel funds to be used in the future. These funds must be used within one year. You can cancel the flight until 10 minutes before the departure. To cancel your tickets booked with wanna getaway and check your refund, you must check Southwest Cancellation Policy. If the ticket is purchased with Rapid Rewards points, all of your points will be credited to your account. Standby travel requires an upgrade to the Anytime Fare.
Business Select is the most expensive, but they offer a generous cancellation policy as compared to the others. If a customer cancels a Business Select ticket, he/she gets a 100% complete refund in the original form of the payment. The payment may be in the form of cash or Rapid Rewards points.
One of the most accommodating tickets. If a customer cancels these tickets, he is also entitled to a full refund in the original mode of payment.
NOTE: However, if you do not notify the airlines of your cancellation at least 10 minutes before the departure time for Business Select or Anytime then, the purchase price of your ticket will be converted to travel funds that can be used in the future within one year.
Wanna get away plus
Wanna Get Away tickets are Southwest Airlines' refundable class cabin it has a wedge over as it offers more flexibility. If a Wanna Get Away ticket booked in cash is canceled, the whole amount is refunded back to the payment account of the flyer.
How can I cancel my Southwest flight?
Southwest Airlines flight cancellations are simple, and they always work for customer satisfaction. Southwest Cancellation Policy provides two ways by which you can cancel your flight via phone or online. Southwest flights can be canceled using two methods online (through the website or the Southwest app) and offline (via phone). Passengers are free to choose the method of flight cancellation as per their choice. You can even reschedule your Southwest flight depending on their flight policy or ticket cancellation policy. These options are available 24X7 with Southwest Airlines.
- Online Ticket Cancellation
- Cancellation Through Phone
A.Online Cancellation of a Southwest Flight:
- Log in to your Southwest Airlines account or search for Flight Cancellation in your search box.
- Select the "Flight" option and then hit "Manage Reservations" from the drop-down box.
- Fill in the passenger details such as confirmation number received after completing your reservation, first name, and last name.
- Tap "Cancel Flight" and press "Continue.
- On the following page, a pop-up window will indicate whether or not your flight is qualified for a refund. Also, your flight will be canceled.
B. Cancel Southwest Flight Through Phone
- Dial "+1-888-526-4112" to reach a Customer Service representative.
- Inform the executive of your flight change and provide him with your details like ticket number and name.
- Don't forget to ask him if you're eligible for a refund.
- Business Select and Anytime tickets on Southwest Airlines are more expensive, but they offer a generous ticket cancellation policy as compared to the others.
- As per the SW Airlines Cancellation Policy, if a customer cancels a Business Select and Anytime ticket, he/she gets a 100% complete refund in the original form of the payment. The payment may be in the form of cash or Rapid Rewards points to cancel Southwest flights as per the policy.
- Although, if you fail to inform the airlines about the cancellation at least 10 minutes before the departure the purchase price of your ticket will be converted to travel funds that can be used in the future within one year.
- If Rapid Points are used to purchase the tickets, those points will also be redeposited into your account.
- Moreover, In case you made some flight changes then, that flight will become a non-refundable one, so it is best to cancel the original flight and re-book it for the ticket to remain fully refundable.
- Standby travel between the same cities and on the same day is permitted and is free of charge.
- If you have made the Southwest flight booking with cash, you will get a refund in the same payment mode. It can also get converted into travel funds.
- If you cancel your ticket then, your pet animal will also be not allowed to travel in cabin
- If you are canceling your flight ticket with Southwest and rebooking on the same itinerary. You need to check Southwest Airlines' website for the rebooking policy. Meanwhile, your ticket will automatically get booked by the airlines.
- You need to fill out a southwest health declaration before boarding the flight.
Southwest Cancellation Policy - 2023 (Updated)
Southwest is now the least risky airline, thanks to their most recent cancellation policy update for 2023. They have added numerous new features and guidelines in order to provide the best facilities to their flyers. You can cancel your flight without paying no fee under these conditions, according to their most recent policy.
If you or a family member has a covid or any other coronavirus symptoms, as well as any other health concern, and you are unable to board the airline flight, there will be no cancellation costs. Regardless of the type of ticket you have, you will receive a full refund.
If your flight is canceled or delayed due to inclement weather conditions, you will be reimbursed under the Southwest Airlines cancellations policy. The SW Airline will offer you the following flight, which means they will rebook a flight for you.
If you do not choose to continue your journey with the airlines, you may request a refund, and the same will be issued to you in the original mode of payment.
Yes, cancellations can also be made after checking in on the flight you booked your seats on. But, make sure to ask the air lines to cancel the flight at least 10 minutes before the departure of the flight.
If you have booked your seat on South west airline through rapid reward and can not travel due to any circumstances, you can easily cancel your flight and the points will be transferred back to your South West account.
If you purchased a non-refundable ticket and no longer need to travel, you can request a cancellation from the airline; however, you must do so at least 10 minutes before the departure of the flight. You will not receive a refund on the original form, but a travel fund will be provided which can be used for your next trip.
One of the perks to buy a Refundable ticket is the easiest cancellation and full refund. Yes, you heard it right! You will get a full refund back to your bank account or can even choose it to be stored as a travel fund.
Southwest Cancellation Fees
South West air line will not charge you any additional fees for any canceled flight in accordance with the most recent Southwest Airlines cancellation fee policy, as long as you cancel your flight at least 10 minutes beforehand.South West air line will not charge you any additional fees for any canceled flight in accordance with the most recent Southwest Airlines cancellation fee policy, as long as you cancel your flight at least 10 minutes beforehand.
No ammount will be cost and the money will be transferred back to the original form of payment
No additional fee will be asked if you asked the airlines for the cancellation before 10 minutes of flight departure. The refund will be made in form of a Travel fund and can be used to book a next flight within 1 year.
24-Hours Cancellation Policy
Passengers can cancel their flight reservations if they miss out to reach the airport on time or if the Southwest Airlines flight has a delay depending on the policy. SWA Cancellation Policy provides an ultimate benefit for its passengers to cancel Southwest flights within 24 hours of booking. Moreover, without paying a cancellation fee. Passengers are eligible to get a full refund according to Southwest Air Cancellation Policy. If the flight is delayed from Southwest Airlines' end flight compensation is provided to the passengers as per their policy. Hence, it is extremely useful for customers to cancel their flight tickets within 24 hours of reservation.
24-hour cancellation policy for different types of tickets:
|Types of tickets||24 Hours Free Cancellation|
|Wanna Get Away||Yes|
|Wanna get away plus||Yes|
Southwest Cancellation Policy For No-show
Passengers who miss out to reach the airport on time is permitted to cancel their flight till 10 minutes prior to the scheduled departure of the Southwest flight.
Passengers with any time or Business Select ticket type are eligible to get a refund as flight credit. Moreover, For other ticket types, it is not permitted as per the Southwest ticket change policy.
Flights Paid with Gift Cards and Companion Pass Flights
- Gift Cards
The flights purchased with gift cards have slightly different rules as compared to those purchased in cash. In this case, the cancellation is non-refundable. So, if you cancel a flight purchased with gift cards, the amount will be held as reusable travel funds, and it will have an expiry date. Usually, the expiration period is 12 months.
If you have paid for all or a part of your flight with a Southwest Gift Card and cancel your flight within 24 hours or less before taking off, you can contact Southwest Customer Relations.
- Companion Pass
If you book a flight with Southwest Companion Pass, any taxes paid are fully refundable and to the original form of payment. This is permitted by Southwest Airlines Flight Ticket Change or Cancellation Policy.
Southwest Airlines Refund Policy
As per Southwest Airlines refund policy, if passengers cancel their southwest flight and want to get a refund,but their refund depends on the type of ticket they purchased and how they purchased it with cash or with rapid rewards points or miles.
Following are some guidelines regarding the policy:
- If the flyer decides not to travel and you don't cancel your booking 10 minutes prior to the departure flight time then, the amount of tickets transferred to the future flight credit but if you have any wanna get away flight that credit will be forfeited by the southwest airlines, however, the ticket is reusable.
- From the southwest ticket purchase date business select and anytime fares are refundable for up to 1 year.
- Southwest provides compensation for Oversold Flights
- There will be no compensation for a delayed flight; however, Southwest will do its utmost to assign you to an alternate flight at the same time.
If you are unable to fly with Southwest Airlines and now have a non-refundable Wanna Get Away ticket, you may obtain a refund from the airline if the cancellation request is filed at the appropriate time. Furthermore, the return will be given in the form of a travel fund, also known as travel credit to your Southwest account.Refundable Tickets
These are the best ticket to buy if you are unsure about your travel. SW refundable ticket include business class and anytime tickets. With these Southwest refundable tickets, you can cancel at any time and will be eligible to receive a full refund. Furthermore, the refund will be provided to you within 7 days from the day of the refund request.
You will also be able to choose how you want your money refunded.
- In the original form of payment.
- In the form of travel credit for further use.
Booked With Cash
If you want to get a refund in cash or your money back, you must book a Business Select or Anytime ticket. On these booking types, you get an option to select the mode of refund whether in cash or as travel credit for future use. On other ticket types, you will get a refund as travel credit.
Booked With Rapid Rewards
Tickets booked with rapid rewards are totally refundable and get a refund in form of points. The points automatically later automatically get added to your Southwest travel account.
How can I get a refund on Southwest Airlines?
Passengers may cancel their Southwest flight in three ways: online, offline, or by call, and they will receive a refund based on the type of ticket and method of payment. Here are several methods for requesting a refund from Southwest Airlines.
Passengers can get a refund for their canceled flight ticket by following these steps:
- Visit the southwest airlines website.
- Click on the manage booking tab.
- Enter your e-ticket number and the passenger's last name.
- The next page is open and you can see your existing travel credits.
- Click on the refund option and fill out the southwest refund request form so that Southwest Airlines will initiate the refund.
- Now select the mode of payment to claim your southwest refund amount.
Moreover, passengers can contact southwest airlines at +1888-526-4112 to apply for a refund but you have to be ready with your confirmation ticket number, flight date, and destination for further assistance from the southwest executive and claim the amount of refund.
Frequently Asked Questions ( FAQ'S )
Yes, according to Southwest Airlines Cancellation Policy, if the airline cancels your reservation for a reason, the airline will provide you with a rebooking option in which you can book any subsequent trip to your original ticket as long as that next flight has available seats.
Otherwise, the airline will give you a Travel Fund that you may use to purchase a ticket for the following flight.
Furthermore as per Southwest Refund Policy, if you want a refund in the original manner of payment, you may contact Southwest and they can assist you. The easiest approach to contact the airline is to dial their toll-free number or if you don't want to wait long waiting then, send private messages to obtain a refund on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram.
Southwest Airlines is canceling and delaying flights due to a substantial increase in coronavirus diagnoses as well as a crew shortage. To find out more about your flight specifics, contact + 1-888-526-4112 and speak with an executive about your trip so you don't have to travel a large distance for a canceled flight.
Southwest Airlines Cancellation Policy states that you can cancel your flight ten minutes before departure. However, Southwest has several categories with distinct return policies.
- If you cancel your flight before it departs, you will receive a full refund to your original mode of payment; otherwise, if you are late, your payment will be changed into a Travel Fund, which you may use for your next travel.
- If you cancel your ticket before its departure, your money will be preserved in your Travel Fund.
1. Refundable fares: Anytime and Business Select.
2. Non-Refundable fares:
Yes, you have the option to cancel your SW ticket within 24 hours after purchase. Furthermore, if you cancel within 24 hours before your flight according to southwest airlines' 24-hour cancellation policy, you will be eligible for a full refund regardless of which airline ticket you are holding.
Yes, Southwest Airlines offers the ability to cancel a flight and claim a refund. However, the airline is divided into several tiers, out of which some are refundable and others of which are non-refundable. Depending on this, you may be entitled to a refund or a travel credit.
Check which of these tickets you have to see whether you are eligible for a Southwest Refund Policy.
- 1. One-Way Trip: If you cancel a one-way trip, all refunds will be given to you in the original form if you follow the South West airline cancellation policy. However, if you want to change the same flight, it is better to forget about the ticket you are holding and buy a new one because cancellation prices are sometimes much higher than the actual price, though this depends entirely on the destination.
- 2. Round Trip: If you cancel your trip before the flight's departure, you will be entitled for a refund. However, if you purchased a roundtrip ticket and just used it to travel one way, the airlines will not provide you a refund.
- 3. Multi-City Trip: You can cancel your flight by contacting the airlines through chat or online. After you cancel the flight, your money will be returned to you, or if you paid using Rapid Rewards, it will be returned to your account. You can also modify the section of the sites you want to see, but this must be done before the trip departs.
If the flight is purchased with gift cards then, the cancellation is non-refundable. So, if you cancel a flight purchased with gift cards, the amount will be held as reusable travel funds, and it will have an expiry date. Usually, the expiration period is 12 months.
Southwest Airline Companion Pass: If you book a flight with Southwest Companion Pass, any taxes paid are fully refundable and to the original form of payment.
Southwest Airlines does not allow you to remove one single passenger from a flight via mobile app or website. Cancellation for 1 flyer can only be done via calling the airlines. The executive will assist you in removing a reservation of a single person from the group.
A return ticket from the round trip can only be canceled by calling southwest airlines. You may simply cancel your one-leg flight ticket by phoning the airline's customer service department.
Any passenger flying to the United States, whether an immigrant or a citizen of another country, must carry and show a Covid vaccine certificate. They must also complete an attestation form before flying with Southwest Airlines.
If you use Rapid Points to purchase the tickets, those points will be redeposited into your account.