When a customer is not able to take the flight on Southwest Airlines, the total amount paid by the passenger gets converted into Southwest travel funds which can be used later on for a different flight. On the cancellation or changing of your original Southwest flight with a lower price flight, you get the travel funds credited to your account.
With some of the ticket types, you can also get a cash refund for your original form of payment. When you cancel a Southwest flight that you booked with the travel funds, you have the option to get your funds back to your account along with the tax deductions.
These travel funds can be used for any available flight; if you are not able to use all of your travel funds in the current reservation, the remaining funds can be used for the next flight. But make sure you use them within the expiration period, which is 12 months from the date of purchase.
Lookup your Southwest travel funds
- To view your Southwest travel funds, click on the “manage reservation” section.
2. On the next page, from the “other self-service” menu, select “view travel funds.”
3. Fill in the mandatory information such as confirmation number and your name, and click on check now.
4. On the next page, you will be able to see your travel funds.
Use Southwest Travel funds
- To use your Southwest travel funds while making a Southwest reservation, you get to choose them in the payment tab.
- When you have selected the flight and have filled in all the details needed, you reach the payment tab on the top of the page; you can see the southwest gift, travel funds, or southwest LUV Voucher menu.
- Click on the menu and select travel funds. Next, fill in your confirmation number, and name and click on “apply funds.”
- The funds will be credited to your current reservation, and the ticket amount will decrease accordingly.
- While making changes or any modifications to your flight you can still use these funds. Visit Southwest flight change policy to know how to use funds while changing flights.
How to check the expiration date of Southwest Travel Funds?
Southwest travel funds get expired within one year from the purchase date of your original flight. You can also check the expiration date by just logging in to your account. On the first page, click on view travel funds. The next page will showcase all the details of your travel funds, from the balance to the expiration date.
Can Travel funds be used for someone else?
The travel funds by southwest can only be used by the person named on the ticket. However, this feature is available with Southwest LUV Vouchers.
Can Southwest travel funds be converted to points?
You can no longer convert your Southwest travel funds to reward points. Make sure you use funds within the expiration timeline.
What if Southwest travel funds are not working?
If your Southwest Air Line travel funds are not working, you need to make sure you are using them before the expiration date. The name on the travel funds should match with the new booking made.
Additionally, you get a limit of three payment methods with your travel funds. If your funds are not covering your reservation, you will need to pay through a credit card or digital wallet. You can also take help from the customer service of the southwest to let you know about your travel funds.