Flying with your furry friend accompanied by Southwest airlines is out of harm’s way and here is the information about the pet (dog/cat only) policy essentials. According to Southwest Airlines Pet Policy, pets have permission to onboard domestic flights inside the United States. Moreover, Southwest Airlines serves pets on a first come first serve basis till the capacity fills as a limited number of pets can fly as per the Southwest pet policy.
Subsequently, every Airline has different rules for pet travel with varied pet fees. Pets are an important part of our family. So, if you have already booked or preparing to fly with a dog or cat on Southwest Airlines for pet policy, you are at the right place. Here we are providing a complete guide for your safe and easy travel with your pet.
- Firstly, fully trained and vaccinated pets can fly with you in-cabin only if you booked a flight and should be placed underneath the seat of the passenger.
- Secondly, passengers can take one pet with them on the flight. Only 6 pets can travel on the whole flight whosoever booked the flight first will take it into consideration.
- Thirdly, at the airport ticket check-in counter, passengers can confirm their boarding passes online in spite of the fact that pets also have to check in at the counter.
- As per Southwest Airlines Pet policy, flights don’t allow pets with wild behavior.
- Pets are not allowed to fly in cabin on southwest international flights.
- Also, passengers are not permitted to bring pets on Southwest flights to or from Hawaii.
Southwest Pet Fee
You will be delighted to know that the pet fares on Southwest Airlines are refundable. The Southwest pet fee for your pet travel is $95 for each pet carrier on a one-way flight in cabin. Passengers can pay a pet fee by using a credit card and cannot pay using a Southwest gift card, or voucher.
Moreover, each pet carrier can contain 2 dogs or 2 cats but the pet fee will remain the same for one pet carrier as per the Southwest Pet Policy. Additionally, passengers can visit the airport counter or contact Southwest Airlines at 1-888-526-4112 to avail of more information on the price of pet travel.
- Southwest Airlines allows 6 pet carriers depending on a first come first serve basis.
- You can carry 2 dogs or 2 cats in the same pet carrier and the Southwest price or pet travel will remain the same.
- Moreover, pets are not allowed to travel in cargo due to extreme weather conditions on Southwest flights.
- Therefore, no pets are allowed to travel in cargo there is no Southwest pet fee in cargo.
- Southwest Airlines charges ESA (emotional support animals) to fly on Southwest Airlines as they are also known as pets by the airlines.
- However, they are certified and perfectly trained animals who can fly free of charge on Airlines.
- Hence, travel cost for pets remains the same even carrying other animals on Southwest Airlines.
- Travel funds on Southwest Airlines for pets are restrictive to the original passenger only.
- Additionally, you cannot transfer these funds to someone else or cannot use them for your pet.
- Moreover, passengers can only pay the pet fee on Southwest Airlines by using a credit card as per the Southwest pet policy.
Southwest-approved pet carrier
Southwest Airlines pet policy only welcomes pets with an appropriate pet carrier that fits well below the seat in front of you in the cabin. Southwest Airlines is very strict about pet carrier size and dimensions. You can bring 1 pet carrier on 1 ticket while traveling on a Southwest flight.
Also, your pet must remain inside the pet carrier throughout your flight. Moreover, only 6 pet carriers are allowed on Southwest flights on a first come first serve basis. Additionally, pet carriers must be leakproof and well-ventilated.
Pet Carrier Requirements
- Passengers can fly with their dog or cat only with 1 pet carrier per pass of the plane.
- Southwest Airlines allow 2 pets of similar species to fly in carriers.
- The pet should be inside the carrier and also have a ventilation opening.
- Age requirement- Pets must be a minimum of 8 weeks old for travel in the cabin.
- Your dog or cat must fit well to stand and turn around properly inside the pet carrier.
- You can also purchase a pet carrier at the ticket counter at the airport.
Pet Carrier size
- Southwest airline pet kennel with dimensions/size of 17’’long x 9.5’’ high x 10’’ wide.
2. As per the federal aviation administration(FAA) measurement of the approved carrier for pet is 18.5’’ long x 8.5’’ high x 13.5 wide.
3. The kennel must be ventilated so that pets can sit and stand comfortably in the carrier.
4. Both soft-sided and hard-sided carriers are allowed on Southwest Airlines.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Southwest accept pets?
Yes. With Southwest airlines, you can travel with your pet in a cabin. Southwest Airlines does not allow pets to enter the international flight or any international journey.
How do I book my pet on Southwest?
You can book our pet on Southwest Airlines by visiting the Southwest pet center at the airport, online, or by contacting 1-888-526-4112.
What are the documents for my pet to Southwest?
While carrying your pet with Southwest Airlines, the passenger needs to be ready with the Health Certificate of the pet along with the approved southwest pet carrier.
What are the pet travel restrictions on Southwest?
As per pet policy, pets can’t travel with unaccompanied minors. Southwest Airlines pet policy does not permit pets in cargo and shipping. Passengers traveling with their pets cannot sit in the exit or bulkhead row. Southwest will not accept ESA(emotional support animals) for travel.
Which is the mode of payment for pets on Southwest?
Passengers can pay Southwest pet fees using a credit card and not with cash. You can use southwest gift cards and unutilized travel funds to pay pet charges.
Can my dog fly in Southwest flight cabin with me to Hawaii?
Southwest Airlines do not allow pets to or from Hawaii.
What are the Southwest security checkpoints while traveling with a pet?
On a Southwest Airline flight, Every single pet carrier is investigated by TSA and other airport security and passengers will be requested to carry a pet for an x-ray through a screening device.
What are the famous Southwest Destinations for pets to travel?
With Southwest Airlines, you can go to Madison, salt lake city, Philadelphia, Arizona, Tucson, Los Angeles, Colorado Springs, Florida, California, and Texas.
Does Southwest allow pets in cargo?
No, Southwest Air lines do not allow pets in the cargo. They only accept dogs and cats in the cabin.
Can I check in my pet as a carry-on bag on Southwest?
No, Southwest Airlines do not count your pet carrier as carry-on luggage for Southwest Airline. It is entirely up to you whether or not to bring a carry-on bag.
Can pet animals travel in Southwest Airlines business select?
Pets are welcome in any Southwest airline cabin, whether business class or economy or wanna get away as per Southwest Airlines pet policy. The only thing to remember is that they should always be put beneath the seat.