If you are looking to upgrade your American Airline’s flight from Basic economy to Main Cabin or Business or First class on a domestic or international route, it can be done in various ways. Although Non Elite members cannot upgrade their flight from Basic economy to various class of service but its always better to talk to an agent and check if there is space available to upgrade.
Passengers have the option of upgrading their American airline flight:
- After Booking the flight at aa.com
- At the time of Check in at gate.
- After Check in at the airport.
- By Calling the Customer Service desk.
Although the demand for upgrade is high and the availability is limited but if you are an AAdvantage Elite member, you will be prioritize for upgradation of your American Airline flight.
You can upgrade a maximum of three flights while traveling in one direction( One way or Return). Passengers can upgrade their seats from basic economy to first class or business class, from business class to first class or premium economy even after purchase.
Create the most wonderful memories by traveling with American Airlines. Moreover, you can easily manage your travel with American Airlines upgrade policy with maximum benefits for passengers such as Wi fi, connectivity, complimentary meals, up to 300 movies, and more!
American Airlines Seat Upgrade Cost
American Airlines charges 15,000 AAdvantage miles and $75 to upgrade to first-class for a domestic economy fare for Non-elite status members. Moreover, you can upgrade your American Airline flights using miles and cash.
Types of American Airlines seat upgrades
American Airlines upgrade is available on all domestic and international flights. If American Airline flight with booking fares economy, premium economy, and business class you cannot upgrade directly from economy class to business class. However, not all flights have these fare types as American Airlines domestic flights have basic economy, main cabin, and first class.
|On Domestic Flights (Elite Flyer)
|Passengers can get complimentary seat upgradation from basic economy to the main cabin with extra legroom.
|On International Flights
|Passengers can upgrade from economy class to business class directly.
Note- Basic Economy tickets are not eligible for upgradation on America Airlines but you can upgrade them if you have American airline’s elite flyer status.
- Passengers get a complimentary upgrade for business/first Class seats on flights for all domestic, international, and, central routes.
- Elite Flyer status gets the offer for a complimentary upgrade to elite services.
- When passengers get Executive Platinum Status they receive complimentary upgrades on Award ticket types.
- Bookings with AAdvantage loyalty program gold members will get a notification regarding the upgrade 24 hours before departure. Moreover, Platinum members get the notification 48 hours prior to departure.
- Passengers can upgrade their tickets or seats by using miles plus cash.
- You can use your miles or award points on American Airlines worldwide.
- Moreover, you will have to make the payment depending on the type of upgrade that you want to make.
- You will also get an upgrade priority while traveling on American Airlines.
- American Airlines systemwide upgrade is also known as SWUs.
- These types of upgrades are available for Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum elites.
- Passengers can choose between SWU, bonus miles, Admirals Club access, etc.
- Executive Platinum elite members can get additional systematic upgrades when reaching 350,000, 550,000, and 750,000 Loyalty Points, respectively.
How to Upgrade Your American Airlines Flight?
Passenger can upgrade their American airline flight fare type easily. Moreover, you can make this upgrade using miles, points, and cash. You can upgrade your flight ticket by paying an American Airlines upgrade cost.
- All passengers traveling on tickets booked with AAdvantage miles can upgrade their fare class regardless of their elite status.
- Additionally, You cannot upgrade American Airlines flight to first class from basic economy using miles.
- You are eligible for single-class upgrades only booked with the mileage.
- Contact Amerian Airlines for booking or to upgrade using miles.
- Then, you will receive your PNR (passenger name record) and passenger name.
- You will get confirmation on your American Airlines upgrade.
Note- If your upgrade is not available at that time, your seat grade will get added to the waitlist or standby list.
Upgrade using cash
- You can upgrade the Business/First Class of your flight seat using cash or money for the comfortable seating of your choice.
- Firstly, if you have booked your flight ticket go to the ‘Find your Trip’ section.
- Secondly, fill in passenger details and PNR.
- Finally, pay cash and upgrade your flight ticket.
Upgrade using British Airways Avios
- Passengers can upgrade their cash booking to the next class of fare type with Avios.
- However, you can upgrade your seats to the next class only and not directly to business class from basic economy.
- You will get the confirmation of the upgrade as per the availability of seats.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I upgrade to business class/first class with American Airlines?
Yes, you can upgrade your American Airlines flights using miles or cash and by using AAdvantage plus elte status.
Can I upgrade to business/first class on American Airlines after purchase?
Yes, you can upgrade your flight ticket to business/first class with American Airlines even after booking the tickets. Moreover, you can upgrade your ticket easily from basic economy to enjoy luxurious services.
How do I Upgrade my Class on American Airlines?
Log in to American Airlines’ official website and make systemwide upgrades using your AAdvantage account or call the customer care service desk to confirm your upgrade.
What are 500-mile upgrades mean on American Airlines?
Passengers can upgrade their status of business or first class on the domestic and international routes of travel on American Airlines with a 500-mile upgrade certificate. Moreover, 1500 miles are required for 500 miles of travel.
Can I pay for an upgrade on American Airlines?
Yes, you can pay to upgrade your American Airlines depending upon the type of fare and travel class.